Radishes are a cruciferous vegetable, like broccoli and cauliflower, and offer many health benefits such as:
- Cooling down the body and helping to eliminate excess heat in the warmer seasons.
- Eliminates excess mucus and fights colds by clearing sinuses and soothing sore throats.
- Removes built-up toxins in the body by breaking down stagnant foods in the digestive system.
- A high vitamin C content, which has a cleansing effect that helps to prevent viral infections.
- Assists with breaking down and eliminating toxins and cancer-causing free radicals in the body.
- Protects the body from cancer using phytonutrients, fiber, vitamins and minerals.
- Relieves the digestive system from bloating and indigestion.
- High in nutrients, low in calories.
- Nourishes and hydrates tissues with high water content, phosphorus, and zinc.
All in all, radishes are powerful detoxifiers that can be a delicious, daily whole-food snack.
Adapted from Spoon Fork Bacon
Serves 3 – 4
- 2 bunches of radishes, cleaned trimmed and cut in half lengthwise.
- 2 1/2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 lemon, juiced
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 400℉.
- Place ingredients into bowl and toss, coating radishes. Add salt and pepper.
- Place radishes onto baking sheet and roast for 30 minutes until radishes have a golden-brown edge and are fork-tender.