Recipe adapted from Hyperfoodie
Servings 8/Prep time: 10 mins / Cooking time: 40 mins / Total time: 50 mins
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 3 celery sticks, chopped
- large baking potato, chopped, or four white potatoes
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1⁄2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- pinch salt/pepper
- 5 cups vegetable broth
- 1 1⁄2 cup red lentils
- 1 can large diced tomatoes, drained
- 1⁄4 cup chopped parsley or cilantro
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- Heat 1 tsp. olive oil over medium heat in a large sauce pan.
- Add the onion and let cook for 5 minutes until soft.
- Add the garlic, celery, and potato chunks. Cook until soft and lightly browned, another 2-3 minutes.
- Add the cumin, turmeric, ground ginger, paprika and salt/pepper and stir until fragrant.
- Add the vegetable broth, lentils, and canned tomatoes and bring to a simmer.
- Cover and cook for 20 minutes and cook until lentils are tender.
- Remove from heat and puree ½ of the soup using either a blender or immersion blender.
- Add back in the ½ of the soup and stir in the herbs and lemon juice.
- Season to taste with salt/pepper if needed and serve.